August 8, 2010

Friday's Fieldtrip

Our original plan was to be in the the National Office for a two year "tour" and then return home. Well, it has been two years and we are still here! Starting July 1st, the Principal traded in his 12 minute commute for an hour and a half excursion (each way) on the New Jersey transit! Why, you might ask? To be honest, I have asked myself the same thing a few times this month!

He received a great offer to work on a great client--too good to pass up and hopefully in a few more years will prove to be our ticket home! He has always been a morning person--good thing, because he's up before the crack of dawn! He walks to the the train station just in time to catch the 5:58 train, then off to the city of endless skyscrapers with an office right in the heart of the global financial market! Sounds big time. Feels big time. A little exciting. A little overwhelming. But I must say, he has jumped right in and taken a big bite out of the big apple! Way to go Sweetie! I'm proud of you!

According to Home School, Daddy owns every train that comes in and out of the station! We can hear the whistle of the trains from our house as they approach the platform, (I don't notice it anymore, but she does!) She gets so excited and informs us that Daddy's train is here! I asked her the other day where daddy works and she answered, "On the train!" I assured her he does more that ride the New Jersey transit all day--that he actually goes to work in New York City!

We decided to show the kids the Principal's new office and enjoy a little time in the Financial District! We strolled down to Battery Park along the Hudson River and then took the Staten Island Ferry--a great free adventure! Saw the bull (the Aggie bull--according to our well indoctrinated children!) Walked down Wall Street. Ate a little dinner. Enjoyed the South Street Seaport. Found the Yankee Store (a must do for 4th Grade and Pre-K every time we head into the city). Walked the Brooklyn Bridge. Drove home. Slept well.

















I have to include though--one of my favorite parts of this adventure--were the Boy Scouts touring after the National Jamboree. They were everywhere. Clean cut. Bright eyed. Bearing the LDS religious knot on their Scout Shirts! They were from UTAH!!! They were from all over the state and taking over the city. We talked to several of them! We even talked to one who went to school with our neice Jenna! Small world! It felt like home in the big city. Thanks Boy Scouts! You made our evening!

4 comments:

The Liechty's said...

It looks like you are all doing well. So speaking as the wife of a fellow big four, IS IT WORTH IT? Are you glad that you decided to go to New York? (erinliechty@yahoo.com)

The Grant Family said...

How exciting! I love hearing about your adventures in the east. You guys look great....and can you believe our babies are 2! They're so big!!!

Caroline said...

One of my nephew's from Centerville was there for the Jamboree!

MelanieBrenchley said...

Hey Karen!
Your blog looks great! Steve and I went to the Big Apple for the first time last fall... I am so jealous you live there! It is like nothing else! Looks like you guys are having a blast.
Lots of love,
Mel