August 24, 2010

On the Road Again!

If you have ever driven north on the 95 through South Carolina, you've seen Pedro's ads for "South of the Border." You can't miss them--they are every half mile or so--a little annoying, low budget, and...oh, how to describe them? It's worth a road trip just for the signs. I wish we would have thought to take pictures along the road. We didn't pull out the camera until we hit the land of sombreros...with only four or so cars in the parking lot...we think Pedro may want to rethink his advertising strategy! Oh so funny!


You're in luck! I just Googled and saved you hours of driving time--there are MANY more along the road, but here's a little taste of the magic! The pictures are small so you may not be able to read them...just remember...."You've never sausage a place and you're always a weiner at South of the Border!"







Actually this was my favorite sign...just knowing Pedro's advertising was finally behind us!


We all did very well along the road actually. Drinks and treats. Sharp Crayons and empty drawing pads. Movies and books from the Library. However, when it came down to choosing entertainment, the stories took "back-seat" to the DVD's--so I cracked open and thoroughly enjoyed their books. It has been a very long time since I have read, "How to Eat Fried Worms!" A little while after I started "Matilda" the principal got a bored and asked me to read aloud--which I did in an English accent! It's such a cute book! A must read for any road trip!


Homeschool also provided a little entertainment!



Shortly after we crossed the Virginia Border--Lucy (our faithful Navigation System) had us exit the 95 for a LESS TRAVELED route to Williamsburg! We drove on country roads next to what looked like cotton and tobacco crops, a few houses, and lots of trees! It was quite enjoyable until we almost hit a deer that darted out from a cornfield right infront of us! We were heading for a ferry to take us across the James River.



It was truly a tender mercy that after a LONG pilgrimage in the car, we made the ferry by just seconds! Right after we drove on--they closed the gate behind us and we were headed for Williamsburg...(via Jamestown)!





1 comment:

MelanieBrenchley said...

Hey I just caught up on your fun road trip! I got all teary at the photos of your kids running to see your parents. I don't know who's changed less over the years... you, or your parents! You are so dang cute. Lots of love.