The first week of September is party week at our house! Logan turned three on September 5th and Emily just celebrated her sixth Birthday on September 7th. It's a lot of fun and a lot of frosting!
Somehow we started a "surprise cake" birthday tradition in our family--which boils down to this:
A few weeks before each birthday I spent quite a bit of time on the internet looking for the perfect decorating idea.
The night before I pull out the Wilton bags and tips after they go to bed and get started! It always makes for a late night--however, thanks to a tip from Katie I stopped making my own frosting (just add a little powdered sugar to the can--works great and saves a lot of time!) This year Logan got a spiderman cake! I found a picture of Spiderman's face on the computer and printed it off--traced it on wax paper and used that as my template to cut the cake!

Emily had an ice cream cone cake! I found a picture on Better Homes and Gardens website using cupcakes for the scoops of ice cream. It turned out cute--to frost the cupcakes I didn't add the powdered sugar to the frosting--it was really soft and almost melted over the top--it really looked like ice cream! It worked perfect--six cupcakes and six candles for the birthday girl!
The morning of the big day, the birthday boy/girl stays in their room until the candles are lit. They come out to see their cake while the family sings "Happy Birthday!"


Somehow we started a "surprise cake" birthday tradition in our family--which boils down to this:
A few weeks before each birthday I spent quite a bit of time on the internet looking for the perfect decorating idea.
The night before I pull out the Wilton bags and tips after they go to bed and get started! It always makes for a late night--however, thanks to a tip from Katie I stopped making my own frosting (just add a little powdered sugar to the can--works great and saves a lot of time!) This year Logan got a spiderman cake! I found a picture of Spiderman's face on the computer and printed it off--traced it on wax paper and used that as my template to cut the cake!
Emily had an ice cream cone cake! I found a picture on Better Homes and Gardens website using cupcakes for the scoops of ice cream. It turned out cute--to frost the cupcakes I didn't add the powdered sugar to the frosting--it was really soft and almost melted over the top--it really looked like ice cream! It worked perfect--six cupcakes and six candles for the birthday girl!
The morning of the big day, the birthday boy/girl stays in their room until the candles are lit. They come out to see their cake while the family sings "Happy Birthday!"

3 comments:
You are AMAZING!!! Awesome cakes!!!
Great cakes! You are so talented. I love the individual cupcakes for Emily's...I should have done that for Lizzy's icecream cone cake. Tyler loved the Spiderman cake!
Wow! You make the best cakes! It was great talking to Jackson the other night on the web cam! Have a great day!
Post a Comment